I am such a rookie. “In what sense?” You ask. Well, in the sense that in a few areas which are absolutely necessary for the fulfilment of my destiny (ok, I’ll say it) – as a children’s author and freelance writer, I am severely lacking. The title sounds flash, doesn’t it? Before you get too excited, I have decided to 'play it safe', by stating at the outset that:
1. I am somewhat of a techno-phobe. Although really a bit less of the ‘phobe’ and more of a ‘challenged’ techno, because I like the idea of being able to do all this stuff with technology but my brain is just not wired that way. Simple electricity to me is a sheer miracle.
2. I am not even remotely up with the play on the literary scene. I know that there are a lot of people, books and terminology that I should know, but there we have it – ‘you don’t know what you don’t know!’. So please cut me a little (or even a lot) of slack! I just know that, I like what and who I like and will definitely share this stuff with you.
3. I am not a ‘Miss Marples’ of the English language either. I am bound to be grammatically incorrect along the way. If you wish to provide your own small piece of wood to bite down on – please feel free.
4. This is NOT a parenting blog. I will be endeavouring to share thoughts and encouragement on a number of areas, probably in a very random fashion. I will write from time to time on subjects relevant to parenting, and if I do, I they will hopefully not be presumptuous or prescriptive. What my time as a parent has taught me is that there is no such thing as a family without issues, a person without struggles or a life without messiness!
5. I am NOT an amazing parent with perfect children (sorry, kids), so let’s just not even go there! My theory is that if you are talking to a parent who can’t seem to bear admitting even the smallest fault in their children – make your way to the nearest exit!
6. Since there is practically nothing new or original under the sun, I am merely attempting to share a few of my thoughts and the things I have learnt along the way and if they resonate with you that’s great. Take what you will, leave the rest.
I love this quote by C.S. Lewis:
“Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it.”
7. If you are still reading at this point, I thank you and hope you will visit again soon!